If you are struggling with insomnia, Ambien may be a viable solution to help you restore a good night’s rest. It is a sedative-hypnotic medication that works by slowing down brain activity to induce sleep.
Ambien is a prescription drug that requires a doctor’s authorization before you can purchase it legally. Traditionally, getting an Ambien prescription involved visiting a doctor’s office, but in recent years, it has become possible to get it online.
In this article, we will discuss the steps involved in receiving a prescription for Ambien via telehealth and getting insomnia treatment from home.
Put an end to your restless nights. Consult MEDvidi professionals online.
What is Ambien (Zolpidem)?
Ambien is a brand name for zolpidem — a sedative-hypnotic medicine used to treat insomnia in the short term. It can help overcome both troubles, falling asleep and staying asleep. It works by boosting the activity of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), a chemical messenger in the brain that promotes calming effects.
Ambien is available as immediate-release and extended-release oral tablets. The immediate-release form is intended to help a person fall asleep quickly, while the extended-release form helps in both falling asleep quickly and staying asleep for a longer period.
Ambien is fast-acting and is quickly removed from the body. Its fast-acting properties are beneficial because they enable the quick onset of sleep. By acting rapidly, Ambien can also help effectively initiate the sleep process, allowing individuals to experience restorative sleep sooner.
What Doctors Can Prescribe Ambien?
Ambien is a Schedule IV controlled substance in the United States, which means that it has a low potential for abuse and dependence but may still pose some risk. Therefore, only healthcare providers who are authorized to prescribe controlled substances can prescribe Ambien.
In the United States, the following licensed healthcare professionals can prescribe Ambien:
- Medical Doctors (MD)
- Primary Care Physicians
- Doctors of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- Nurse Practitioners (NP)
- Physician Assistants (PA)
- Psychiatrists (MD or DO with specialization in Psychiatry)
- Neurologists (MD or DO with specialization in Neurology)
You can get a prescription for insomnia online from licensed medical professionals at MEDvidi. Start right away!
Can You Get Ambien Prescribed Online?
It is possible to get a prescription for Ambien (zolpidem) through a telemedicine service. In this case, you are required to have a virtual consultation with a licensed healthcare provider and may also have to complete a medical questionnaire. An appointment typically includes an evaluation of symptoms and health history, based on which a doctor can determine if Ambien is appropriate for you.
When requesting an online prescription, choose a legitimate telemedicine service with licensed healthcare providers. Once prescribed, take Ambien under guidance and supervision to ensure that it is used safely and appropriately. Regular monitoring can be conducted through online follow-up sessions as well.
Steps for Getting an Ambien Prescription
To obtain a prescription for Ambien, it is typically necessary to go through the following steps:
- Schedule an appointment with a licensed healthcare provider. You can have a visit in person or through an online telemedicine service.
- Talk about your symptoms. The healthcare professional will need to know about your symptoms, medical history, and any prescription drugs or dietary supplements you take.
- Get treatment recommendations. After a detailed evaluation, your healthcare provider may request additional exams or testing. If those are not necessary, you’ll be provided with information about the available treatment options, which may include medications or psychotherapy, or both.
- Obtain a prescription. If your doctor decides that Ambien is a good choice, they will provide you with a prescription for the drug for a specified period. This can be accomplished either physically with a paper prescription or electronically with a telemedicine prescription sent to a pharmacy.
- Fill out your prescription. If you have a paper prescription, take it with you to a pharmacy. If you obtained an online prescription, come to the pharmacy and provide your information to get the medication shipped to you. Sometimes, you can also order medication delivery.
Note that starting from November 11, 2023, one more step will be added to this list because of the updated DEA regulations. Since Ambien is a Schedule IV controlled substance, new telemedicine patients will only be able to get an initial prescription for it for 30 days. To refill it online, they will need to provide a referral letter obtained after an in-person visit to a primary care physician. You can learn more about these upcoming changes on our website.
How to Talk to Your Doctor About Getting Ambien?
It’s essential to talk to your doctor before using Ambien if you have insomnia. Here are some tips for your conversation with a doctor during an appointment:
- Explain your sleep problems. Tell your doctor about particular symptoms and how trouble sleeping affects your everyday life. The more information you provide, the better your doctor will understand your needs.
- Describe your medical background. Tell your doctor about any other medications you are taking, as well as any additional medical issues you may have. This will help your doctor to decide whether Ambien is a secure and beneficial choice for you.
- Ask questions. Ask your doctor about the possible adverse effects of using Ambien, the recommended dosage, and any possible risks of long-term use.
- Discuss further choices. Inquire about other possible treatment options if your doctor feels that Ambien may not be the best choice for you.
Consult a mental health professional online and get a personalized plan of treatment.
Learn More About Safety Measures
When providing you with a prescription, a healthcare provider will typically tell you about other important details to remember during your treatment course, such as:
- Pay careful attention to the intake recommendations: never take Ambien for longer than suggested or in excess of the specified dosage.
- When taking Ambien, avoid consuming alcohol and using other sedatives.
- Prior to understanding how Ambien affects you, avoid operating machinery or a vehicle.
- If you develop any side effects, such as disorientation, hallucinations, or behavioral abnormalities, call your doctor immediately.
Side Effects of Ambien
Like all other medications, Ambien may cause side effects in some people. Here are some common ones:
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Diarrhea or constipation.
- Dry mouth or throat.
- Memory problems.
- Behavioral changes such as agitation, confusion, hallucinations, and illusions.
- Allergic reactions.
Due to its sedative properties, people who take medicine regularly, especially in dosages that are higher than what is advised, run the danger of becoming physically dependent on Ambien. It can also cause withdrawal symptoms when they try to stop the medication abruptly.
Ambien is a sleep medication that can only be obtained with a valid prescription from a licensed healthcare professional. It’s important to carefully follow the doctor’s recommendations and be aware of any potential adverse effects if Ambien is prescribed.
Always follow the doctor’s recommendations when taking Ambien, and only get it from an authorized pharmacy or online merchant by a legitimate prescription.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you get Ambien without a prescription?
A legitimate prescription from a qualified healthcare provider is required to purchase Ambien. Ambien cannot be bought over-the-counter (OTC) at any drugstore or online retailer in the United States.
Can you buy Ambien online?
Ambien can be purchased online in legitimate pharmacies and if you have a prescription from a licensed healthcare practitioner.
If you see any pharmacy that offers Ambien without a prescription, it can be unsafe and illegal to receive this medication from them.
Can you ask your doctor for Ambien?
Ask your doctor for a prescription if you have difficulties sleeping and think Ambien might be a good treatment choice for you. To decide if Ambien is the best prescription for you, your doctor will consider your medical history and present symptoms.
How much does a prescription of Ambien cost?
The price of an Ambien prescription may differ based on your insurance plan and the pharmacy that you choose. However, a 30-day supply of Ambien typically costs between $30 and $60, and if you don’t have insurance, the cost can be greater.
Within each of these categories, subgroups of drugs work differently and have their benefits, risks, and possible side effects. Lorazepam (Ativan) is a benzodiazepine most commonly used to treat anxiety. Benzodiazepines are a drug class that has evolved since the 1960s. Still, medical evidence suggests…
It is difficult to outgrow a clinical mental health condition like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) if left untreated. Millions of Americans, including teenagers, adults, and children, deal with ADHD, complicating their lives. However, there are many treatment options for this mental health disorder…
OCD and anxiety disorders have many similar symptoms. While anxiety disorders and OCD are frequently comorbid and have symptoms that overlap, some key distinguishing factors exist between them that lead to diagnostic clarity. Differentiating between these characteristics can help guide treatment…
People who experience clinical depression and anxiety often get prescribed Lexapro as these mental health issues go together. Lexapro is usually the drug of choice to treat both anxiety and depression. Like many other prescription drugs, Lexapro has some side effects, such as; Lexapro insomnia…